Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

“Swiss knives” – Portable Applications suites
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: “Swiss knives” – Portable Applications suites
“Swiss knives” – Portable Applications suites 7 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 14
We would like you to discuss here Portable Applications Suites.
This will help us to compile a best combination of useful applications and tools and share them with all users.
Feel free to suggest your applications. It helps if you include the following information:
  • Suite purpose (e.g. Admin tools)
  • Category (e.g. Password Recovery)
  • Program name (e.g. AsterWin IE)
  • Source (e.g. http://www.codyssey.com)
Last Edit: 2009/06/12 17:38 By Igor.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:“Swiss knives” – Portable Applications suites 7 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
There are very nice tools collected in this Swiss Knife Suite. Very usefull too.
What could be added to the collection, are some tools for disk-maintenance. I have been using JKDefrag and like that a lot. I do not know yet if that is also available for the Portable Apps collection.
A vertion of S.M.A.R.T. monitoring tools would also be nice ...

Re:“Swiss knives” – Portable Applications suites 7 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 2
When I first started using a USB drive, I was excited to find Application Suites, and downloaded them like mad. After some time passed, I found that there were a lot of applications on my drive that were of little or no use to me. Not at all to suggest that they weren't useful applications, just not useful to me.

Since then, I've deleted a LOT of stuff, and just keep or download the ones I really want. I can't help but think, though, that everyone would feel the same way about suites, after some experience. We're all individuals, with individual interests/needs/wants, and no all-in-one suite could be just right for...well...anyone.

I enjoy perusing lists of portable apps from all over the internet, and downloading some on to my stick to try. If they don't work out for me, it's SO easy to just wipe them off the drive, and not worry about bits and pieces being left over. If the DO work out, I can consider adding them to my "big box", confident that it's something I'll use on some sort of regular basis.

There's my two cents on the suite vs individual apps debate!

Re:“Swiss knives” – Portable Applications suites 6 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
I'd like to second what yahoogrrl wrote as my experience is very similar.

However, I find that application suites are a good starting point: removing unwanted apps.

I also find it useful to look through the various packs to keep up to date on new portable apps.

I would find a media pack useful if only because it is easier to make one download.

I use the term "media" quite broadly and include text/pdf/office editors/readers/viewers as well as the usual audio/video/graphics.

Thanks for all your work.

Go to topPage: 1
Moderators: Eugene, Igor
get the latest posts directly to your desktop