Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Application info path
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Application info path
Application info path 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 1
Hello,I′ve installed CodySafe on USB stick with already installed some portable software in my "Programs" folder. Cody Safe after installing, creates "PortableApps" folder where saves settings data (INI and ICO files) related to installed software. This is uncomfortable solution for me, because:- It create new folder in USB stick root (I don′t want to have too many folders in root) without my knowledge, - It creates duplicates of some files on pendrive, for example:Programs\ FirefoxPortable\App\AppInfo\appinfo.iniPoratbleApps\ FirefoxPortable\App\AppInfo\appinfo.iniI suggest 3 alternative solutions for fixing this issue:- CodySafe automatically save "AppInfo" files to "real" application folder.- User could set up default path of "PoratbleApps" folder for all installed application in System Settings- User could set up individually paths of "AppInfo" folder for each installed application via new field of "Applications Manager" > "Add Application" tab, or use default settings.Best regards,Janusz
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Application info path 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 14
Yeah... We know that it may be inconvenient for some users.However during beta development we concentrate our efforts on major functions and features.We'll implement it in one of coming stable releases an option to detect default path for portable apps during installation and then may be an option to change .
Last Edit: 2009/06/17 06:00 By Igor.

Re: Application info path 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 1
Hello,However during beta development we concentrate our efforts on major functions and features.Yes, I agree with you. This is not such important feature as encrypting or backup feature. Also my other forum threads "Suggestion for UI" and "Suggestion about applications command lines" aren′t concerned to urgent improvements, however, I hope it help you a bit in developing your excellent software .Baest regards,Janusz

Re: Application info path 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 16
Janusz,You are right. Encryption and backup features are very important. But we are not going to develop "yet another tool"... Our target is to make a solution that will suit the needs of advanced user like you are, as well as a newbie. Thank you for your suggestions, we will consider them when planning.BTW, we are going to launch pretty soon the CodySafe Solid Crypto - an AES-256 hardware encrypted thumb drive that will secure all stored data transparently.

Re: Application info path 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 1
Hello, Our target is to make a solution that will suit the needs of advanced user like you are, as well as a newbie.Exactly! I looking for some comprehensive software suite to manage my USB stick from long time, and seem to me that I found it here . For example TrueCrypt can to create encrypted drive, but this application has complicated and unfriendly UI. Additional, user can′t manage portable software and documents via TrueCrypt. RocketDock or Appetizer have nice and customizable UI, can to launch and manage portable applications, but both application haven′t any security/encryption solutions, etc. Currently I use following solution:I′ve my custom autorun exe file, and via this tool I manage Truecrypt, some tool to USB devices eject, tool for backup and other USB utilities. On encrypted TrueCrypt drive I′ve installed my portable applications managed via RocketDock (also installed on encrypted drive). So when I would like to open e.g. Thunderbird portable, I need first launch (via my UI exe file) TrueCrypt, next mount device, next run RocketDock via my exe, and via tis applications toolbar I can to launch Thunderbird or other software with my sensitive data. Complicated, isn′t it? I hope CodySafe resolve this issue Best regards,Janusz

Re:Application info path 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 14
- User could set up default path of "PoratbleApps" folder for all installed application in System SettingsStarting build #72 users may define their own custom path for "PortableApps"During installation of CodySafe simply point to the folder where you store (or plan to store) your portable apps and you are done! CodySafe will look for applications inside this directory.You can set the path to default folder manually. Open Launcher.ini file (in "CodySafe" folder) in text editor and add or modify the "DefAppPath" in "System" section. Finally the code shall look like:
Code:

[System]DefAppPath="YOUR Portable Apps Path"
Please pay attention that the path must be written inside the quotes

Go to topPage: 1
Moderators: Eugene, Igor
get the latest posts directly to your desktop