Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Automated backup of your flash drive
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Automated backup of your flash drive
Automated backup of your flash drive 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 14
This is a sample for the best practice of using CodySafe's applications and scripts. A useful option for automatic synchronization of your CodySafe drive with a folder on a local hard drive of your PC using FreeFileSync (take a look and download from "Utilities" section of Portable Applications).First, let us set a batch job in FreeFileSync (if you do not have this application - grab it here).Launch FreeFileSync, click "Advanced" -> Create batch job
In the "Left pane" select your CodySafe drive or specify a folder you want to be synchronized automaticallyIn the "Right pane" - select the folder on your HDD where CodySafe data will be mirrored to.
Adjust options (you may change them anytime later) and save your batch job file in FreeFileSync folder.
Now open CodySafe Control Panel and launch Applications Manager. Go to the "Scripts" tab. Copy the following script and paste it into the Post-run box:
Code:

Sub Run(ByVal sFile,sParam) Dim shell Set shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") shell.Run Chr(34) & sFile & Chr(34) & sParam, 1, false Set shell = NothingEnd SubSet wshShell = WScript.CreateObject( "WScript.Shell" ) strComputerName = wshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings( "%COMPUTERNAME%" )If strComputerName = "REPLACE-WITH-YOUR-PC-NAME" Then Run "\PortableApps\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe", "\PortableApps\FreeFileSync\SyncJob.ffs_batch"End If
Don′t forget to change the "REPLACE-WITH-YOUR-PC-NAME" with your real computer name!Click "Close" and you are done!Now every time you exit CodySafe the changed files in the folder that you selected on your drive will be mirrored to your PC automatically
Last Edit: 2009/08/08 19:58 By Igor.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Automated backup of your flash drive 8 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 4
I am having trouble getting this to work. My computer seams to want to give my USB stick a different drive letter each time I plug it in. Is there away to make the batch file a relative path? Or is there a way to assign a drive letter permanently to my drive?

Scooter wrote:I am having trouble getting this to work. My computer seams to want to give my USB stick a different drive letter each time I plug it in. Is there away to make the batch file a relative path? Or is there a way to assign a drive letter permanently to my drive?I think I have my problem fixed. The problem was with my computer. Each time I plugged my Memory stick in it would be assigned a higher drive letter. It didn't even help to specify a drive letter through disk management which usually works. I followed a fix I found on-line which called for certain folders in the registry to be renamed or deleted and then a re-boot. That seams to work. I assigned drive letter K to my USB and it widows is now remembering the letter! The auto backup is now working like it should.

Re:Automated backup of your flash drive 8 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 16
Scooter, Maybe it is worth placing here the fix you have found online. Just to share it with others

Eugene wrote:Scooter, Maybe it is worth placing here the fix you have found online. Just to share it with others OK, here it is. I waited to post this till I knew for sure it would work. It ended up working only till the next reboot. The real problem turned out to be the Online Armor firewall. I've un-installed Online Armor and the seems to have fixed my problem. I still had to edit the widows registry file in order to get all drive letters released. Below is the fix I found. It will force windows to rebuild the mounted drives and drive letters. From what I read in the forum that I found it in, it worked for people."Open Regedit and go toHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2Delete or rename the whole MountPoints2 hive.Then go toHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevicesDelete or rename the whole MountedDevices hive.Reboot and pray "

Go to topPage: 1
Moderators: Eugene, Igor
get the latest posts directly to your desktop